Accuracy of Whois Data for .edu
EDUCAUSE is managing the .edu domain under the authority of the U.S. Department of Commerce. Both EDUCAUSE and the Department of Commerce are committed to maintaining the accuracy of the Whois database, which records the administrative details of each .edu name. We have therefore asked all registrants of .edu names to connect to the EDUCAUSE .edu Web page, log on to their domain account, review their entries, and correct any inaccuracies. To encourage all registrants to review their Whois data, EDUCAUSE and the Department of Commerce have specified the following six-phase procedure, and have agreed that it will be completed during the 2003 calendar year.
Phase 1: Comprehensive electronic notification of all registrants
Notify all .edu registrants that a process is underway to improve the accuracy of the .edu Whois database, requesting them to link to the EDUCAUSE .edu Web page, log on to their domain account, review their entries, and correct any inaccuracies. Notification includes:
- Announcement on the EDUCAUSE .edu Web site, including details of these phases, updated as the process progresses.
- E-mail to the current administrative and technical contacts for all .edu registrants.
This item was completed in mid-August of 2002.
Phase 2: Postal and electronic follow-ups to non-responding registrants
To all registrants who, after a period of about 10 weeks following the Phase 1 e-mail, have not logged on to their domain accounts, send a follow-up notification by postal mail to the current addresses of the administrative and technical contacts. After another three weeks, send an additional e-mail message to the administrative and technical contacts of registrants who have still not logged on to their domain accounts. This item was completed in mid-November of 2002.
Phase 3: Final attempt to reach non-responding registrants
For all registrants who, after a 90-day period following the notifications in Phase 2, still have not logged on to their domain accounts, take the following steps:
- Send e-mail to the "postmaster" address associated with each domain name.
- Check for an active Web site associated with the domain name and, if one exists, send e-mail to any addresses noted on that site.
- Attempt to contact the registrants of any domain-name servers associated with the domain name in question.
This item was completed in the Spring of 2003.
Phase 4: Notification of intent to remove registrations from non-responding registrants
For all registrants who, after a 90-day period following the notifications in Phase 3, still have not logged on to their domain accounts, take the following steps:
The Web-page list noted above will be updated to reflect those registrants who log on to their domain accounts during this period.
- Create a highlighted notice on the EDUCAUSE .edu Web page containing the list of registrants who have not responded to Phases 1-3 and whose registrations are therefore in danger of removal.
- Send certified mail to the president of each non-responding registrant institution (both by name and by title) indicating that the institution's .edu registration is in danger of removal in 90 days.
Phase 5: Removal of registrations from non-responding registrants
For all registrants who, after a 90-day period following the notifications in Phase 4, still have not logged on to their domain accounts, the registered .edu name will be deactivated. This means that the name will no longer resolve to an IP address and may no longer be used for Web access, e-mail delivery, or any other network connection.
Phase 6: Grace period
Each name that is deactivated in Phase 5 will be withheld from the pool of available names for a grace period of 30 days. Registrants of deactivated names who contact EDUCAUSE during that 30-day grace period will have their names reactivated without penalty. After the 30-day grace period, deactivated names will be returned to the pool of available names. Registrants of deactivated names who fail to contact EDUCAUASE during the grace period may subsequently reapply for a .edu name, subject to all applicable terms and eligibility requirements at the time of reapplication.